Sunday, June 29, 2008

Daring Baker's Danish Braid

This is my very first month being a Daring Baker! I have been so excited to start baking some fun, challenging things. This was a great challenge to start off with.

This month Kelly of Sass & Veracity, and Ben of What's Cookin'? hosted the challenge. They picked this beautiful Danish Braid from Sherry Yard's, "The Secrets of Baking". I thought that this was going to be quite difficult when I was reading over the recipe, but it turned out to be quite fun to make!


My filling was a berry filing with a cream cheese filing on top. And I must say that it was to die for! I don't know what was wrong with me, but I started out by doing the braid in the wrong direction at first, I couldn't fix it because the dough was all gooey from the fillings. Oh well...it just kinda turned out looking like a mummy. The bottom part was perfect though!
Since there was enough to make 2 braids, I made one braid and with the other dough, I just experimented with designs. They turned out really nice!
I put an orange glaze on top of the them which gave it a little more sweetness to them...which I loved!

Berry Filling Recipe:
2 c. crushed berries
1 c. sugar
Microwave fro 18 minutes
Add 1 TBS lemon juice

Cream Cheese Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Beat together and put on top of Berry Filling

If you want a challenge, feel free to click on either Kelly's or Ben's link and they will have it posted. It is quite the long, detailed recipe, so I won't be typing it out...

Until next month, thanks for a great Challenge! And feel free to look at some of the other Daring Bakers and how they made theirs at the Daring Bakers Blogroll.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Ooooo... beautiful. I'm gonna try.

Molly Loves Paris said...

Congratulations on a very successful completion of your first project. Your Danishes look terrific.

Tiffany said...

That looks so wonderful. Tried your banana bread this weekend. I am a huge banana bread fan, and that recipe is great. My son ate as many muffins as we would let him have. Can't wait to try this. It looks so delicious

Lunch Buckets said...

Welcome to the group! Great job on your first challenge :)