Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Breakfast Brunch

As many of you know, I love a good recipe. I love to try new things all the time. These two recipes are ones that have been around since before my time....Fruit Soup and Banana Bread.
Doesn't that sound disgusting? Fruit Soup?? I need to rename it, I get weird looks every time I mention it. Anyway, my mom got this recipe from her college roommate and it is now a tradition for the Gillis' (my dad's side) to serve this with Breakfast Quiche every Christmas morning. It is a cold fruit soup...lots of fruit in fruit juices. Easy as that. So...let us think of a new name for this amazing soup!

Fruit Soup:
This can be halved!

Bring to boil - cook until clear:
2 c. water
1/2-3/4 c. sugar
7 TBS tapioca (instant)

Add:
12 oz. can frozen orange juice
5 c. water (use juice of fruit and add water to make 5 c.)
1 qt. peaches (drained) ( you can use a variety of fruit: fruit cocktail, pears, etc..)
2 cans mandarin oranges
4 sliced bananas (put in before serving in the bowl, otherwise they get brown and nasty!)
2 c. strawberries
1 tsp. lemon juice

Mix the Tapioca mixture and juices together. Add the fruit and combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve!

Now on to my Banana Bread. This is another recipe that has been in the family for forever. I believe it came from my Nana (my mom's mom) and it has just been passed down! I know that everyone has their favorite recipe of banana bread. There are a million different recipes for it. So...why mine? Because 1. you will always have the ingredients for this (as long as you have browned bananas) 2. I have converted countless friends to this recipe because it is quite amazing! So, try it for yourselves and let me know what you think!

Banana Bread

1/2 c. margarine
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas
2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine the margarine and sugar until smooth. Mix in the eggs. Add the mashed bananas. Then mix together the flour, soda and salt. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. If it starts to get too brown on the top, put foil on to cover. These are great for muffins as well! Big muffins are for about 20 minutes and the small muffins are about 15 minutes. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mitzi said...

We LOVE your banana bread! I remember how you would always make it in college when the banana's would blacken. I do that now and every time Brooke I make it, Brooke thinks I should be a baker!
I'll have to try the fruit soup!

Ashley said...

SOOO trying these out soon! The Fruit Soup looks divine & the name makes me laugh. Don't know what else you'd call that, exactly! And I'm always game for banana bread!

Leah and Mike said...

Fruit soup is definitely a WONDERFUL Gillis family tradition! I love it! And I make your banana bread all the time - you gave this recipe to me at my wedding shower and I have loved it ever since!