Sunday, March 22, 2009

St. Paddy's Day Breakfast

So, it is several days late, but this was our breakfast for St. Paddy's Day.  You may be wondering what's so special about these pancakes?  Well...of course we all love pancakes, but in this case, I am blogging about the syrup.  I happened to run out of syrup and didn't realize till the batter was made, so I was on the hunt for a recipe.  The girls at The Sister's Cafe didn't let me down.  They have a recipe for some Coconut Syrup.  She talked it up so much I had to try.  WOW!!  Amazing!  If your not a fan of coconut, I'm sure you could use Almond extract or Vanilla, whatever.  As for my house...we loved the coconut!!


Coconut Syrup

7-8 TBS butter
3/4 c. buttermilk***
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. coconut extract

Put butter, milk and sugar in saucepan.  Put on medium heat and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves.  Bring to boil and boil for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add soda and coconut extract.  It will bubble up; just continue to stir and give it a few minutes for the fizz to reduce before serving.

***I didn't have any buttermilk on hand, so I put 1 tsp. of lemon juice in a 1c. measuring cup and add milk the rest of the way.  Wait for 5 minutes and BAM...buttermilk





0 comments: