Thursday, October 30, 2008

Orange Rolls

I have been on the hunt for an AMAZING Orange Roll recipe. See, I went to my BFF, Mich, wedding and she had the wedding luncheon at the Lion House...they served Orange Rolls there. They were the most delicious tasting thing my taste buds have had contact with. So, I got the Lion House cookbook, it had the recipe in there...what a disappointment. Either I am a horrible cook, or they left out some ingredients. They were good, just not what they serve at the restaurant. So, my mom kept telling me that her friend, Nancy, makes a mean orange roll...I thought I would give them a try!! And they did not fail me! They are yummy! Otherwise I would not put the said tale above or even give the recipe. I hope you enjoy! Also, if you have one amazing Orange Roll...I would love the recipe!!!
The recipe doesn't call for a glaze on top, but to me...you always need a glaze/frosting on sweet rolls!!

Orange Rolls

Scald together in pan:
1 stick butter or margarine
1 c. milk
1/2 c. sugar
Let it cool.

Mix together:
1/3 c. warm water
1 yeast packet (or 1 TBS yeast)
3 beaten eggs
1 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together with a spoon and add:
4 1/2 c. flour

Let rise until double in size, approx. 1-2 hours. Punch dough down and roll out like you would cinnamon rolls...long and flat about 3/4" thick.

Filling:
2 TBS Orange rind (or grated rind of two oranges)
1 stick of margarine or butter
1 c. sugar

Cook over stove and let bubble about 2 minutes.
Pour filling over the dough while still hot, spred over evenly, and roll up the dough and slice like you would cinnamon rolls. Let rise about 30 minutes, bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. These are best cooked in muffin pans.

Glaze:
Powdered sugar
Orange juice



3 comments:

Kim said...

Thank you SO much for this! I was looking at that recipe in my Lion House cookbook just 2 days ago!!! Good to know I'd be wasting my time. I'll just make your recipe. I am a sucker for a good orange roll.

Tiffany said...

Those look awesome! You are not a bad cook. I have heard many times that several things in the Lion House cookbook are a disappointment, which is too bad really.

Harrington said...

Summer,

I have been wanting to make orange rolls for a while. I am so glad you posted this recipe. I am going to try these.

Ashley